Linked Open Data
In March 2010 the hbz, several Cologne-based libraries and the
Library Centre of Rhineland-Palatinate started an Open Data initiative as the first German institutions to release library catalogue data into the public domain. (See the joint statement which accompanied the initiative.) Since then several other institutions decided to follow their example. This open data is, amongst others, used by the hbz' (experimental) Linked Data service lobid.org.
Beyond exchanging ideas regionally and within the hbz library network the hbz takes an active part in the Open Knowledge Foundation. It is also engaged in working groups within the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). By hosting the annual conference Semantic Web in Libraries (SWIB) together with the German National Library of Economics (ZBW) the hbz is fostering and encouraging the professional commmunication about Linked Open Data concepts and projects in the library world.
For more information see:
- Recently published Open Data exports
- lobid.org - the hbz's (experimental) Linked Data service.
- Linked Open Data projects in the hbz (Mainly in German)
- Publications by the hbz about Linked Open Data and libraries (in German)
- Principles on Open Bibliographic Data
We are happy about feedback, comments and suggestions!
Tel.: 0221 / 400 75 - 235